• You use an Adblocker to hide advertisements. This type of program makes it difficult to keep this website up and running, since displaying advertisements is the only way to pay for hosting. Would you like to make an exception for this site? We promise that you will not be bothered by the advertisements.
  • Get upgrade the account to (Anti-ads Super Silver or Gold, Titanium - LifeTime for free and no yearly!) ----> "Click".
  • Our forum is an English speaking community. If you reply to a thread using non-English languages(French/Spanish/etc), staff will review your post and may delete it.
Forum - DKS

[Theme] Dark Fantasy - Elegant Edition

Dichotomy

DKS Member
회원 | Member
Oct 24, 2018
Hello everyone. I've been getting stuff here for some time, and I thought it was only fair that I shared something of my own to this community. I am proud to release the freshly refined Dark Fantasy theme. Featuring a custom two row layout, a unified dark toned aesthetic, and sleek functional animations.
Home.jpg

Lock Screen.jpg All Apps.jpg Settings.jpg User Profile.jpg
I've released an older version of this skin once before on another forum, though I never uploaded here however because there doesn't seem to be as much interest in skins. But this is a big one. I feel this skin is worth sharing to one of my go to sites. If you want to look at the old one I think you'll agree this is a big improvement. I only wish I could have kept the white icons... limitation of the theme injector...

Warning: if you update CFW and/or Atmosphere you have to uninstall Custom theme and revert to the original Before you update. if you dont do this you will come across a black screen (similar to brick) you can fix that problem by deleting 2 folders in the SD card associated to the theme, also with tegraRCMGUI.

Installation: Tested on 7.0.1
1. Download the latest installer from https://github.com/exelix11/SwitchThemeInjector/releases
2. Extract your home menu using the installer
3. Copy the contents of the zip onto the root folder of your SD card, overwriting when asked.
4. Install desired modules using the app (if prefer your own lockscreen and don't want its layout messed with skip copying the "Entrance.szs" file)
5. Restart your Switch
6, When uninstalling/installing a new theme remember to extract your home again, in order to overwrite the animations

Last edited:

DorianX

Paladin
Staff member
Forum Admin
Jan 11, 2019
thanks for the upload @Dichotomy
Let me Start by Saying that I also create my own themes with my own images and I think they are awesome

I feel like I should provide the downs of themes so that there aren't problems later on. so here is the warning to the people who want to install themes.

Warning: if you update CFW and/or Atmosphere you have to uninstall Custom theme and revert to the original Before you update. if you dont do this you will come across a black screen ( similar to brick ) you can fix that problem by deleting 2 folders in the SD card associated to the theme, also with tegraRCMGUI.

There are 2 types of themes Legacy themes ( locked by a specific CFW) you switch will crash.
and there are NXtheme themes. these are the best themes as they can be installed in 6.2.0 CFW and Above.

important note: I have not read a single report, problem or issue about any theme bricking a NS. if you follow my 2 advices above you should be fine theming the NS.

Reactions: 윤희지

Dichotomy

DKS Member
회원 | Member
Oct 24, 2018
thanks for the upload @Dichotomy
Let me Start by Saying that I also create my own themes with my own images and I think they are awesome

I feel like I should provide the downs of themes so that there aren't problems later on. so here is the warning to the people who want to install themes.

Warning: if you update CFW and/or Atmosphere you have to uninstall Custom theme and revert to the original Before you update. if you dont do this you will come across a black screen ( similar to brick ) you can fix that problem by deleting 2 folders in the SD card associated to the theme, also with tegraRCMGUI.

There are 2 types of themes Legacy themes ( locked by a specific CFW) you switch will crash.
and there are NXtheme themes. these are the best themes as they can be installed in 6.2.0 CFW and Above.

important note: I have not read a single report, problem or issue about any theme bricking a NS. if you follow my 2 advices above you should be fine theming the NS.
Thanks, added the warning to op, didn't even know that was a thing. I probably ran into it when updating to 7.1 and just fixed it myself and forgot about it.

I used to have so many theme related black screens, they all just kind of meld together.

DorianX

Paladin
Staff member
Forum Admin
Jan 11, 2019
it happened to me a couple of times. and also i have helped a few others that posted for help.

Dichotomy

DKS Member
회원 | Member
Oct 24, 2018
And also my theme is a bit of a hybrid. My attempts at extracting the old school animations into an nxtheme friendly format have failed. As a result the animations are locked behind szs files with the nxtheme doing most of the rest. I don't know if it will work on 8.x but 6.2-7.x should be fine.

Last edited:

DorianX

Paladin
Staff member
Forum Admin
Jan 11, 2019
should work as long as they use the newer version of NXthemeinstaller
I am digging the 2 row game place holder screen.
I was never a fan of the diamond shape and small placeholder game icons neither

Dichotomy

DKS Member
회원 | Member
Oct 24, 2018
Yeah, the only way I've seen that work is when the selected game icon is extremely scaled up. Otherwise making them smaller just makes the icons look worse. My game icons are even slightly larger than the default two row theme.

Bandido

DKS Member
회원 | Member
Jun 28, 2019
So, can I install this if I only use SXOS? I have HOmebrew launcher but haven’t used it at all... Thanks!

Dichotomy

DKS Member
회원 | Member
Oct 24, 2018
So, can I install this if I only use SXOS? I have HOmebrew launcher but haven’t used it at all... Thanks!
https://team-xecuter.com/community/...-themes-in-sx-os-using-nxtheme-format.129520/ I take no responsibility for anything that happens on sxos. A sizable amount of homebrew devs have a distinct dislike of the team so things can be hit and miss.

Honestly I'd recommend switching, I use ReiNX but if you're using sx for the nand Atmosphere's got an emunand these days...

Reactions: DorianX

DorianX

Paladin
Staff member
Forum Admin
Jan 11, 2019
https://team-xecuter.com/community/...-themes-in-sx-os-using-nxtheme-format.129520/ I take no responsibility for anything that happens on sxos. A sizable amount of homebrew devs have a distinct dislike of the team so things can be hit and miss.

Honestly I'd recommend switching, I use ReiNX but if you're using sx for the nand Atmosphere's got an emunand these days...
I share the distinct dislike for team SX., they suck

@Bandido you can use this using ReINX and Atmosphere. there is no need to pay for that garbage SX pro is.
bunch of copycats using open source to charge for money. copying atmosphere and NXthemeinstaller and taking credit for it.

Reactions: Dichotomy

Dichotomy

DKS Member
회원 | Member
Oct 24, 2018
I actually just updated my switch to 8.1 and I can't get the theme to work right... when I try installing with the animations (required custom szs files) ReiNX crashes into a boot loop. When I install without the szs files it doesn't crash, but it also doesn't look quite as nice.

Anyone have any idea how I can make this 8.x friendly? That special formatting really was a nice touch.

DorianX

Paladin
Staff member
Forum Admin
Jan 11, 2019
8.1 too many issues.. if you really need 8.x.x use 8.0.1 in stead

As far as I know, you need to update your theme injector (your desktop .exe program) and also your theme installer. update for 8.x.x are available now.
there also things to consider .Szs files are firmware dependant. are you downloading legacy themes from a webpage? .Szs will make your switch crash. example if the theme was created for 7.x.x and you try to use it for 8.x.x. now pair that with your programs not being up to date 100% crash

make sure you are using themes for themeinstalerNX

Last edited:

Dichotomy

DKS Member
회원 | Member
Oct 24, 2018
if you are stuck on 8.1 wait for themeinstallernx to update.
Of course... you see this is why I don't update my switch too often. I was also saddened to see "0 views" for my theme :'( not even one person tried it...

Anyways, I'll report back once I downgrade.

DorianX

Paladin
Staff member
Forum Admin
Jan 11, 2019
Of course... you see this is why I don't update my switch too often. I was also saddened to see "0 views" for my theme :'( not even one person tried it...

Anyways, I'll report back once I downgrade.
regardless of what you do. update your theme injector today. and also your themeinstallernx homebrew app.
As far as no one trying your theme. its not in the shout out box anymore so people wont see it .
if you want to continue uploading themes you will be known in the future since you dont have competition at the moment. no one is uploading themes.

your thread is in the wrong section., I will move your thread to tutorials right now. because you provide a tutorial with steps how to theme the NS

Last edited:

Dichotomy

DKS Member
회원 | Member
Oct 24, 2018

As far as I know, you need to update your theme injector (your desktop .exe program) and also your theme installer. update for 8.x.x are available now.
there also things to consider .Szs files are firmware dependant. are you downloading legacy themes from a webpage? .Szs will make your switch crash. example if the theme was created for 7.x.x and you try to use it for 8.x.x. now pair that with your programs not being up to date 100% crash

make sure you are using themes for themeinstalerNX
Yes I know all this. I have used the latest version of both. Unfortunately I did not create the animations myself. I would love to be able to transfer them into the nxtheme format but various attempts to do so have failed. I told you from the beginning I wasn't sure this would work on 8.x. The original theme this was modified from was made for 6.2 I believe.

I suppose it looks passable as it is but I would dearly like to make the thing fully compatible if you have any idea I how I might go about recreating the animations in nxtheme format? If not I'll survive, thanks for the input you've given thus far. I also don't think I'll be creating many more themes. I just wanted one good for myself and figured I'd share the love.

DorianX

Paladin
Staff member
Forum Admin
Jan 11, 2019
thanks for sharing your theme.
at the moment i am working on other stuff. but if there is a desire for themes I will put more time into it.
as of now I created bad ass themes for myself only. (there is too much room for error and there is always someone who does not read directions and messes your thread up)
When i get tired of my current theme I might start working on a new one. I will message you If i figure something out

Skycer

DKS Member
회원 | Member
May 18, 2020
Nice theme