• You use an Adblocker to hide advertisements. This type of program makes it difficult to keep this website up and running, since displaying advertisements is the only way to pay for hosting. Would you like to make an exception for this site? We promise that you will not be bothered by the advertisements.
  • Get upgrade the account to (Anti-ads Super Silver or Gold, Titanium - LifeTime for free and no yearly!) ----> "Click".
  • Check out: DKS-Discord
  • Forum - DKS is an English speaking community. If you reply to a thread using non-English languages(French/Spanish/etc), staff will review your post and may delete it.
Forum - DKS

Reviews [Official Mini Review] A Fold Apart [Nintendo Switch]

Dg3hWGLXkAA8gm1-ds1-1340x1340.jpg

Review code provided by the developers

THANK YOU!

Introduction

A Fold Apart is a puzzle game with nice colorful graphics and a story about "making it work".

a-fold-apart-pL0vtZGAz98.jpg

In A Fold Apart you fold the very fabric of existence to solve puzzles while the story progresses in between the puzzle sections.

fold.jpg

The story begins with our 2 protagonists, which recently became romantically involved.

After having spent an undefined amount of time together our blue protagonist gets a job offer in the city and so him/her moves out while leaving our orange protagonist behind...

fold-apart-emotional-world-puzzles-a18f6.png.jpg

They, of course, stay in contact and this is where the "hardships of long-distance relationships" theme comes into the picture.

As time goes on they find that things (feelings) don't translate well into text form...

Desktop-Screenshot-2020.04.14-10.36.29.94.png

Will you be able to "make it work"?

Gameplay

The puzzles themselves are very samey.

You can, fold and turn the level in different directions which does spice things up a bit.

The way this works is as follows, there will be obstacles in your path and by folding the level you can avoid them or create a path to the goal.

20200414140311_1.jpg

It is a noble concept but I feel that they could have tried to do more with it, at the same time maybe it's a good thing that mostly all you have to do is fold - since that mechanic is already hard to get a hang on.

A-Fold-Apart-6.jpg

In between levels you'll get these story sections where the main characters are texting each other, you can pick what message you want to send to the other character, this, however, doesn't seem to affect the story.

4.png

Music and sounds

The soundtrack is nice and peaceful...

I'd say it fits very well

The sound effects are also pretty good.

What I liked:

20200428172729_1.jpg

-The graphics are very nice and colorful
-The way in which the folding mechanic blends with the game aesthetic is visually pleasing
-You can choose the gender for both characters
-Cute characters
-Happy Ending

20200416161728_1.jpg

What I didn't like:

-The puzzles themselves can be tedious to figure out and may interrupt the flow of the story if you get stuck - as the story itself happens in-between puzzles
-Framedrops
-Your actions don't affect the story

Graphics: 9/10
Music: 9/10
Story: 8/10
Gameplay: 7/10

Overall: 8/10

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FiSh.PaSte
Thanks for another great review, I get rather indecisive with the huge selection of games here to choose what next and reading these does help thought that out when i can't deciode.