• You use an Adblocker to hide advertisements. This type of program makes it difficult to keep this website up and running, since displaying advertisements is the only way to pay for hosting. Would you like to make an exception for this site? We promise that you will not be bothered by the advertisements.
  • Get upgrade the account to (Anti-ads Super Silver or Gold, Titanium - LifeTime for free and no yearly!) ----> "Click".
  • Check out: DKS-Discord
  • Forum - DKS is an English speaking community. If you reply to a thread using non-English languages(French/Spanish/etc), staff will review your post and may delete it.
Forum - DKS

Tutorial How To Upgrade your nintendo switch to firmware 13.0.0

Azrial

Midlife Gamer
Staff member
Forum Moderator
Dec 23, 2019
Good old Blighty
Hiya @DorianX12 I'm having an issue installing themes, when I install any, it crashes my switch, and I have to delete the 0100000000001000 folder for it to boot again, any idea what I'm doing wrong mate.

DorianX

Paladin
Staff member
Forum Admin
Jan 11, 2019
Hiya @DorianX12 I'm having an issue installing themes, when I install any, it crashes my switch, and I have to delete the 0100000000001000 folder for it to boot again, any idea what I'm doing wrong mate.
is your theme installer up to date?
are you using any interactive themes?
are you creating your own themes or do you get them from discord or website?

Reactions: Azrial

Azrial

Midlife Gamer
Staff member
Forum Moderator
Dec 23, 2019
Good old Blighty
Yes I'm using the latest version of NX installer designed for 13.x, downloading themes off Themester, using a non animated theme I've used for months on old firmware.

DorianX

Paladin
Staff member
Forum Admin
Jan 11, 2019
Yes I'm using the latest version of NX installer designed for 13.x, downloading themes off Themester, using a non animated theme I've used for months on old firmware.
i am also using themes and no issues here.

do you mind sending me link to the theme or send it to me directly (discord) I can do some testing if you like.
If I have any issues i will perform the following updates in this order: Nxtheme installer, atmosphere to the latest ver,

Reactions: Azrial

NynrahGhost

DKS Member
Mar 1, 2021
Hi @DorianX12, this one probably slipped past your radar, but I'd appreciate it a lot if you could answer the questions from my previous post since these questions are currently stopping my from attempting the firmware upgrade from 11 to 13.

Hi @DorianX12,

My Switch runs Atmosphere CFW with Firmware version 11, but since I didn't do the mod myself the prospect of updating to a new firmware version was quite intimidating to me. This tutorial goes a long way in helping me through this and it's much appreciated. I do got some questions, though.

1) My Switch is the Mariko model with a mod chip, so no RCM whatsoever. In step 3 and 4 you mention TegraRCMGUI and payloads. Does this always applies or only to Switches who use RCM or exploit the vulnerability in the Tegra chip to run CFW?

2) Is the scope of this firmware update process is limited to the SD card or are things changed on the Switch itself as well? The reason I'm asking is because I will want to make the proper back-ups before updating the firmware. I'm not sure whether a back-up of the SD card's contents will suffice or whether I'd need to make some kind of NAND or EmuNand back-up (I launch emuCFW in Hekate).

My apologies if these are newb questions, but then again, I am wet behind the ears when it comes to stuff like this.

Azrial

Midlife Gamer
Staff member
Forum Moderator
Dec 23, 2019
Good old Blighty
i am also using themes and no issues here.

do you mind sending me link to the theme or send it to me directly (discord) I can do some testing if you like.
If I have any issues i will perform the following updates in this order: Nxtheme installer, atmosphere to the latest ver,
https://themezer.net/packs/Witcher-3-167
That's the theme I've been using for about a year or so, it's only on 13.0 that the crashing happens.

Never Mind, I've got it working now, I just had to Unarchive the SD card and Rearchive the Nintendo folder after installing the update, thanks though dude.

Last edited:
Reactions: DorianX

bak2jak

DKS Member
DKS Member
Nov 7, 2020
some of the pics arent loading in the steps

It's because the urls of those images are using "forum.darksoftware.net" instead of just "darksoftware.net". Delete "forum." and they work.

Thanks for the guide @DorianX12 but just a heads up, there's an error some people might get tripped up on if they haven't followed your previous guides to do this.

In the guide you say to extract the contents of the SD folder from your Allinone zip into the root directory of the Switch's SD card. In previous Allinone zips you've made, the actual firmware files were in the SD folder, but in this one the 13.0 files are sitting outside the SD folder, and the guide doesn't instruct users to copy that folder over along with the SD folder's contents.

enigma1989

DKS Member
DKS Member
Mar 1, 2020
Best package! worked like a charm

jayvelmanila2021

DKS Member
DKS Member
Aug 29, 2021
after this update, what will i use to install nxp files? i used goldleaf before, should i just add the goldleaf.nro in the switch folder again? Thanks

NourlBen

Wind Member
DKS Member
Dec 19, 2018
Thanks a lot for your work !

wilaja

DKS Member
DKS Member
Nov 7, 2021
firmware 13.2 is out
does anyone got a link to?

piratenoob

Bike lock aficionado
DKS Member
Mar 11, 2019
Antifa HQ
firmware 13.2 is out
does anyone got a link to?
I don't know if you found it by now, but you can download 13.2.0 from here: https://darthsternie.net/switch-firmwares/
It took a few days after initial release to be uploaded.

Remember to update sigpatches and atmos before updating your firmware.

NynrahGhost

DKS Member
Mar 1, 2021
At the risk of sounding repetitive, could anybody please tell me if this firmware upgrade procedure/tutorial will also work for Mariko Switches with mod chips (and no RCM)? It's sometimes not clear to me what applies to what kind of modded Switches because of differences like RCM/auto RCM/no RCM, and soft mod/hard mod, so I don't know if it even makes a different or not.

Secondly, can I just back-up my current Atmosphere 11.0.0 emuCFW setup by copying everything to a new SD card? I want to be sure that I got a back up on hand before I mess things up as this will be the first time I do something like this and I'm not sure if this process is limited to the contents on the SD card or if something on the Switch's internal memory gets changed as well.

DorianX

Paladin
Staff member
Forum Admin
Jan 11, 2019
At the risk of sounding repetitive, could anybody please tell me if this firmware upgrade procedure/tutorial will also work for Mariko Switches with mod chips (and no RCM)? It's sometimes not clear to me what applies to what kind of modded Switches because of differences like RCM/auto RCM/no RCM, and soft mod/hard mod, so I don't know if it even makes a different or not.

Secondly, can I just back-up my current Atmosphere 11.0.0 emuCFW setup by copying everything to a new SD card? I want to be sure that I got a back up on hand before I mess things up as this will be the first time I do something like this and I'm not sure if this process is limited to the contents on the SD card or if something on the Switch's internal memory gets changed as well.
First and foremost : if anyone else is using a Tegra version 1 unit and just migrating from sx os to atmosphere YES this guide will work just fine.

about your question: I have had people on discord tell that yes this guide works just fine to update to 13.0.0 just fine HOWEVER.
they had to use
Hidden content
To see this hidden content, you must like this content.
first.

I dont have a Sx Core mod chip. I cant test nor make guides on the subject. I wont provide any support on mariko units neither.

if anyone want to donate a mod chip I will buy a OLED and make guides on it. otherwise it will be tegra chip guides only

NynrahGhost

DKS Member
Mar 1, 2021
First and foremost : if anyone else is using a Tegra version 1 unit and just migrating from sx os to atmosphere YES this guide will work just fine.

about your question: I have had people on discord tell that yes this guide works just fine to update to 13.0.0 just fine HOWEVER.
they had to use [Hidden content] first.

I dont have a Sx Core mod chip. I cant test nor make guides on the subject. I wont provide any support on mariko units neither.

if anyone want to donate a mod chip I will buy a OLED and make guides on it. otherwise it will be tegra chip guides only
Understood, thanks for clarifying. I'll have to do some further research on upgrading the firmware on my Mariko Switch then.

Chaerephon

DKS Member
DKS Member
Apr 10, 2020
@DorianX12 Your guide for 13.0.0 really helped me out!! But I want to upgrade to 13.2.0 and I'm just confused with the file when I unzip it...Could you please make a new guide for 13.2.0? Thanks in advance for your time & expertise!

DorianX

Paladin
Staff member
Forum Admin
Jan 11, 2019
@DorianX12 Your guide for 13.0.0 really helped me out!! But I want to upgrade to 13.2.0 and I'm just confused with the file when I unzip it...Could you please make a new guide for 13.2.0? Thanks in advance for your time & expertise!
Yes I can make a new guide for 13.2.0

there really is not a reason to update to 13.2.0 tho. everything, every single game and homebrew will work the same on 13.0.0 as it will on 13.2.0

Reactions: richwilkins50

NourlBen

Wind Member
DKS Member
Dec 19, 2018
pics only show you the step thats written down. if you follow directions it should be straight forward

the time it will take you is relative to you and you only.

it takes me 10 minutes to update, it takes other people 40mins
Hi DorianX, your tutorials are very well done and the pics are truly not necessary. Except when you said "delete the files circled in red" in step 2. Could you please explicit the files or folders that NEED to be deleted ?

Edit : Nevermind, i found the answer in your post about the firmware 13.2.
Once again, thank you for your work

Last edited:

laz305

DKS Member
Aug 2, 2020
This video worked awesome and his files look amazing