• You use an Adblocker to hide advertisements. This type of program makes it difficult to keep this website up and running, since displaying advertisements is the only way to pay for hosting. Would you like to make an exception for this site? We promise that you will not be bothered by the advertisements.
  • Get upgrade the account to (Anti-ads Super Silver or Gold, Titanium - LifeTime for free and no yearly!) ----> "Click".
  • Check out: DKS-Discord
  • Forum - DKS is an English speaking community. If you reply to a thread using non-English languages(French/Spanish/etc), staff will review your post and may delete it.
Forum - DKS

256GB Steam Deck

JoePopes

Game information
Oct 15, 2018
I got mine. Preorder came in but I almost didn't order it. I'm glad I did, it's not cheap by far though. However I'm very happy and it's got me playing more games. If anyone is curious about stuff ask me here. However I haven't really done too much emulator stuff yet it's all very easy. You don't have to crack anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: umbraDark

DorianX

Paladin
Staff member
Forum Admin
Jan 11, 2019
following

Ca5per

DKS Member
DKS Member
Jan 14, 2020
I got mine. Preorder came in but I almost didn't order it. I'm glad I did, it's not cheap by far though. However I'm very happy and it's got me playing more games. If anyone is curious about stuff ask me here. However I haven't really done too much emulator stuff yet it's all very easy. You don't have to crack anything.
Are we able to play non steam pc games?

doop

DKS Member
DKS Member
Aug 22, 2019
Are we able to play non steam pc games?
Yes. There are several methods of installing and playing non steam games. GOG and epic games can be installed via Heroic Launcher or Lutris and "repacked" games can be installed directly through Steams install non steam game feature.

Ca5per

DKS Member
DKS Member
Jan 14, 2020
nice! What about cracked games? Or how does friendly games work in SD?

Reactions: JoePopes

JoePopes

Game information
Oct 15, 2018
nice! What about cracked games? Or how does friendly games work in SD?
The SD is basically 100% open, you can just about do whatever you want. It's basically a PC, you can put Windows on it, it has Linux already on it, you can dual boot and install just about anything. Most of the things you *want* to install are already working or being worked on by the community. Yes you can install cracked steam games, you have to do that on the desktop side and there are lots of tutorials to make that fairy easy. You can add any of these into the SteamOS to launch from there so you don't have to go into desktop after.

Ca5per

DKS Member
DKS Member
Jan 14, 2020
The SD is basically 100% open, you can just about do whatever you want. It's basically a PC, you can put Windows on it, it has Linux already on it, you can dual boot and install just about anything. Most of the things you *want* to install are already working or being worked on by the community. Yes you can install cracked steam games, you have to do that on the desktop side and there are lots of tutorials to make that fairy easy. You can add any of these into the SteamOS to launch from there so you don't have to go into desktop after.
Sounds cool.

What does desktop means? Do you have any links or video guide/explanations? I am looking at playing ps3 games and steam and windows crack games.

JoePopes

Game information
Oct 15, 2018
Sounds cool.

What does desktop means? Do you have any links or video guide/explanations? I am looking at playing ps3 games and steam and windows crack games.
It's just means literally the desktop as if you were on a full PC and you have to use mouse or touch controls and keyboard. You wouldn't have to use that much if at all if you don't want to. That emudeck website sets it all up for you, there is also https://github.com/XargonWan/RetroDECK which does the same but some peope prefer.

Ca5per

DKS Member
DKS Member
Jan 14, 2020
Seems complicated.

Does the desktop already pre-avaliable? Or we need to install it? The desktop is Linux or Windows?

JoePopes

Game information
Oct 15, 2018
Seems complicated.

Does the desktop already pre-avaliable? Or we need to install it? The desktop is Linux or Windows?
It's part of the OS. You don't need to ever use it if you don't want to.

Ca5per

DKS Member
DKS Member
Jan 14, 2020
It's part of the OS. You don't need to ever use it if you don't want to.
I see, so the steam deck is Linux base. Desktop os is Linux, and we can install Crack version of steam and non steam games directly, with windows exe format?

JoePopes

Game information
Oct 15, 2018
I see, so the steam deck is Linux base. Desktop os is Linux, and we can install Crack version of steam and non steam games directly, with windows exe format?
Thats a little more complicated. I'm not 100% sure, you can install windows 11 if you really wanted but it will hurt performance some.

Ca5per

DKS Member
DKS Member
Jan 14, 2020
Thats a little more complicated. I'm not 100% sure, you can install windows 11 if you really wanted but it will hurt performance some.
Cool. I should be receiving mine by end of the month. Any tips and tricks before games are loaded?

JoePopes

Game information
Oct 15, 2018
Cool. I should be receiving mine by end of the month. Any tips and tricks before games are loaded?
Check for updates, mess around browsing the store and playing the free "Aperture Desk Job" game. It will both show you how to touch/use ALL the buttons on the deck it will also make sure all the buttons are working correctly. It's short, maybe 30 mins?

Before it gets here : Pick a few games you want to play and make a collection on steam called "Steam Deck" or something you'd like and put games in there. It'll be a little easier to just go there and scroll around then trying to search and browse later on the deck itself. Any game that has a yellow mark doesn't mean it won't work, it just means there might be a launcher you have to click or use "the mouse" for a second to click start or something. Experiment, it won't hurt the deck. So far it has never crashed on me and a few games failed to lauch, just hit the steam button and quit it.

Tipsy

Forum
DKS Member
Jan 10, 2019
Canada
Can you advise me, I want to get the deck! Also I am a pirate . Should I go for it?

JoePopes

Game information
Oct 15, 2018
Can you advise me, I want to get the deck! Also I am a pirate . Should I go for it?
I can't say for sure. I would check https://www.protondb . com to see what games run easily. You'd probably want to stick to linux and then looking for games that were ripped or hacked from a linux version. Windows 11 does run on it but it takes more resources. If you are handy with tech or have confidence, look at youtube for how to replace the SSD if you want to save on the 64GB version and upgrade to 1TB. I did not do this. If you like retro games, it pretty much runs evertyhing before PS3? Again, I think you have to look more for what you want as it differs from me. I have plenty of games in steam I have had little to no reason to pirate on the Deck yet.

Reactions: Tipsy

Tipsy

Forum
DKS Member
Jan 10, 2019
Canada
I can't say for sure. I would check https://www.protondb . com to see what games run easily. You'd probably want to stick to linux and then looking for games that were ripped or hacked from a linux version. Windows 11 does run on it but it takes more resources. If you are handy with tech or have confidence, look at youtube for how to replace the SSD if you want to save on the 64GB version and upgrade to 1TB. I did not do this. If you like retro games, it pretty much runs evertyhing before PS3? Again, I think you have to look more for what you want as it differs from me. I have plenty of games in steam I have had little to no reason to pirate on the Deck yet.
Okay I have paid for the 512gb version of the deck. I got this message after making the pay "Our distributor has hit a processing backlog for orders to Canada. We are actively working through the issue and will ship your order as soon as we can. You will receive an email with tracking information once your order ships."
I don't know how long that will take to arrive. Also, how do you run emulators on the deck as well? Is it hard to do or easy?

JoePopes

Game information
Oct 15, 2018
Okay I have paid for the 512gb version of the deck. I got this message after making the pay "Our distributor has hit a processing backlog for orders to Canada. We are actively working through the issue and will ship your order as soon as we can. You will receive an email with tracking information once your order ships."
I don't know how long that will take to arrive. Also, how do you run emulators on the deck as well? Is it hard to do or easy?
https://www.emudeck.com/ is a quick way to do it. They install everything you just need to supply the roms. There are others but some require more work.

Reactions: Tipsy

Tipsy

Forum
DKS Member
Jan 10, 2019
Canada
https://www.emudeck.com/ is a quick way to do it. They install everything you just need to supply the roms. There are others but some require more work.
Thanks, will keep a look out for this, as I wait for my steam to arrive.
[automerge]1677069092[/automerge]
I have the deck now with me for two weeks. Looking for someone to share steam games with me.

Last edited:

chunchunmaru

Fire Member
DKS Member
Feb 18, 2020
Planning to get one I have a couple of stupid questions.

1. Suppose I install a cracked Monster Hunter World. Can I play online? Will Steam block me?
2. How about if I play cracked games locally or offline? Is the act of installing cracked games bannable offense? Or they cannot detect you have a pirated game install?

Thank you for your reply.